Wednesday, June 18, 2008

'Dis is Equlibrium

Disequilibrium

I was talking to my friend, she said why does this (incident not purposefully) happen.

Anyone who knows me well will know this "Anything and everything happens for an Engineering reason/cause" so I told her this -she din't quite get me. She said just when everything looks fine, settled, stable and when we assume this state to the norm something interrupts and everything is back to being abnormal. My answer for this was "Change is the only permanent thing", this never had a impact probably because the statement was a cliche.

Now I put my thinking hat on, told her as engineers we should like being unstable. Common dude she said don't confuse this already drained brain. I said no this is true, something useful (I meant work) happens only when there arises a mismatch. For example I told - there can only be a force if there is a mismatch in acceleration. There can be a fluid flow if there is an inequity in pressure (high pressure to low pressure). Similarly for heat flow we need mismatch in temperatures. We hate Equilibrium so much as engineers, in fact, whenever the system is in harmony with its surrounding we say the system is at DEAD state, meaning its not useful anymore. Even in Life, there is excitement only when there is disequilibrium. Being stable is getting monotonous and is boring.

Everything fails- Unix systems fail, your Windows programs hang regularly, relationships break, leaves fall, sun sets etc all this creates nothing but disequilibrium in our lives, this is what makes life uncertain and exciting.

All you have to do is reboot and restart your machine next day. You know something better is about to happen.

So much for asking Wats up? phew!!!

No comments: